For Workers

Finding the right skilled temporary or permenent work visa can be stressful and incredibly complicated, especially when the Immigration Department are involved. Many HR professionals and business owners aren't really sure what you need and in some cases, you don't even need employer sponsorship. U Migrate Australia can manage your application, talk with your employer (if you have one) and work with you to communicate with the Department in your best interests. Simply put, our goal is to learn about you, design a tailored package to fit your needs and establish a long term relationship with you on mutually beneficial terms.

186 Permanent
Transitional - Direct
A permanent visa for skilled workers who have at least 3 years work experience and can obtain a skills assessment, as well as the sponsorship of an eligible employer.
187 Regional
A permanent visa for skilled workers who have at least 3 years work experience and can obtain a skills assessment, as well as the sponsorship of an eligible 'regional' employer.
189 Independant
Permanent Independant
A permanent visa for highly skilled individuals who can obtain a positive skills assessment and have sufficient points to be invited by the Department to apply...
190 State - Territory Sponsored
Permanent Sponsored
A permanent visa for highly skilled individuals who can obtain a skills assessment and have an occupation on the relevant State or Territory occupation list...
400 3 Month
Highly Specialised - Australias Interests
A temporary work (short stay) visa for highly skilled individuals to work in Australia performing 'highly Specialised' tasks in a non-ongoing position...
408 Temporary
entertainment - sports - research
A skilled visa for those who want to work in the entertainment industry, participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation, participate or observe in an Australian research project, work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement, participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs...
417 Work Holiday
Temporary 12 month
A temporary visa for young individuals from eligible countries to work for Australian businesses for up to 6 months at a time...
482 Temporary
2 and 4 year
A temporary visa for skilled workers who have at least 2 years work experience and the sponsorship of an eligible employer.
489 Regional
Provisional - Points Tested
For skilled individuals who hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa and want to extend their stay, or individuals who are invited (sponsored) by a State, Territory or eligible family member...
More Information
English Language
Competent English is most common

All skilled visas require applicants to satisfy a English language  criteria. The below table shows the relevant score required for each level, as it applies to the different English language tests.

proficiency levelTest componentIELTSTOEFL
& iBT
Functional Overall Score 4.5 32 30 147 n/a
Vocational Listening 5.0 4 36 154 B
Reading 5.0 4 36 154 B
Writing 5.0 14 36 154 B
Spea‚Äčking 5.0 14 36 154 B
Competent Listening 6.0 12 50 169 B
Reading 6.0 13 50 169 B
Writing 6.0 21 50 169 B
Speaking 6.0 18 50 169 B
Proficient Listening 7.0 24 65 185 B
Reading 7.0 24 65 185 B
Writing 7.0 27 65 185 B
Speaking 7.0 23 65 185 B
Superior Listening 8.0 28 79 200 A
Reading 8.0 29 79 200 A
Writing 8.0 30 79 200 A
Speaking 8.0 26 79 200 A

You may be exempt from the English requirement if:

  • you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland as evidence that you are a citizen of that country;
  • Or
  • you are applying under the temporary residence stream; and
  • You have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution where all of the tuition was delivered in English.
  • You cannot include short courses studied for this purpose.

    Applicants for the Labour Agreement Stream must demonstrate that they have English language skills that are suitable to perform the occupation to which the position relates. This will be the same level of English as for the other visa streams , unless otherwise specified in the labour agreement.

    Under 45 - unless exempt
    Age exemptions may exist for the skilled 186 and 187 visas, including:
    1. If you are nominated as a senior academic by a university in Australia;
    2. If you are nominated as a scientist, researcher, or technical (scientific) specialist at ANZSCO skill level one or two by an Australian government scientific agency
    3. if you are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream and have been working for your nominating employer as the holder of a 482 or subclass 457 visa for the last three years and your earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work High Income Threshold for each year over that period
    4. If you are a medical practitioner (ANZSCO Minor Group 253) (Temporary Residence Transition stream)and you meet all specified criteria.
    5. If you hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) and you have been working for the employer who nominated you for at least two years (excluding any periods of unpaid leave) in the last three years immediately before applying under the direct entry stream.
    6. If you are applying through the Labour Agreement stream and the relevant labour agreement allows for a person who has turned 45 to be employed.

    Important: you may also be able to apply for a visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are over 45 years of age but under 50, if transitional arrangements apply because you either held, or were an applicant for, a subclass 457 visa (which was subsequently granted) on 18 April 2017.

    Ask Us
    Get Started For Free
    Should I Submit A Form 80
    Fill it in...
    Currently, there is no legislation requiring the form 80, however the Department claim it will help with processing times. We recommend filling in the form 80 and lodging it if and when your circumstances require it
    Who Can Certify My Documents
    Your lawyer or RMA in Australia
    In Australia any lawyer or Registered Migration Agent may certify your documents. If overseas it is best to use a Notary Public.
    What If My Occupation Isn't Listed
    Your employer may apply for a labour agreement
    How Difficult Are Skilled Visas?
    It depends on the visa subclass
    We are not interested in taking advantage, so we do not generally assist with simple visas. Skilled visas range from medium to very high difficulty, mostly due to the ongoing changes in immigration Law and policy.
    How are Employer Supported Visas Different?
    The Ability to Obtain PR
    Criteria482 - S482 - L186187
    Visa Type TR TR PR PR
    Transition to PR N Y - -
    Maximum Age 44 44 44 44
    Minimum Years Work Experience 2 2 3 3
    Minimum English   Competent Competent Competent
    Skills Assessment Required N N Y Y
    Relevant Qualifications Required Y Y Y Y
    Minimum Stay in Regional Area N N< N Y
    Minimum Months Processing Time 6 6 12 12
    Include Family on Application Y y Y Y
    Health Assessment Required Y Y Y
    Criminal History Check Required Y Y Y Y
    Skills Select EOI Required N N N N
    Points Test Required N N N N
    Health Insurance Required Y Y Y Y