190 Visa Applicants

Difficulty:  Processing: 8 to 10 Months Cost: $3,670 +
 +61 3 9088 3101

The subclass 190 State - Territory nominated visa allows skilled workers to come to Aust​ralia and work under an arrangement with a nominating Australian State or Territory Government. It is a permanent visa requiring applicants to remain in the nominating State or Territory for at least two years.

As expected, the State - Territory nominated subclass 190 visa has specific criteria and each is subject to change based on State - Territory skills shortages. Generally, a State - Territory nomination will be granted to those who have the highest points score on the points test whilst meeting the unique nomination criteria set out by each Government authority.


There are generally three stages to a successful subclass 190 visa application. These include:

  1. Applicants - must choose an occupation from the relevant occupation list(s) and apply to a State or Territory Government to be nominated in the chosen occupation;
  2. Applicants - must submit an expression of interest (EOI) to the Department's online Skills Select system, then be invited to apply;
  3. Applicants - must apply for the subclass 190 visa within 60 days of receiving an invitation from the Department.

Note: The EOI may be lodged before the nomination application, however, each time the EOI is updated, the lodgement time will also update.

Skills Select

The Expression of Interest (EOI) is a free online Department program called Skills Select, used to assess your eligibility (points score) for particular General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas. The EOI is not a visa application, and while it is not mandatory to provide documentary evidence at the time you lodge your EOI, it is mandatory you:

  • Provide documentary evidence for the facts you claimed in your EOI at time of invitation by the Department;
  • Calculate your points correctly at time of EOI.

Note: each time you update your EOI in Skills Select, the system will reset your EOI and invitation dates.

Points Test

The points test table details the points allocated for meeting certain criteria under the different specified categories in the Skills Select system. Currently, applicants for a General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa must score at least 60 on the points test, including if you are applying for a subclass 190 State or Territory nominated visa.

GSM Points Test Tables


To successfully apply for a subclass 190 visa, the visa applicant must:

      1. Hold a valid, positive skills assessment undertaken for the nominated occupation by the prescribed skills assessing authority;
      2. Hold, or have applied for/be eligible to hold the required licensing or registration for the position nominated;
      3. Be of good health and character - this applies to all persons included on the application;
      4. Be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government;
      5. Have the required level of 'competent' English language;
      6. Be under 45 years old at time of invitation;
      7. Score at least 60 in Skills Select.

Note: You may be able to lodge an application via 'Skills Select' for an employer to sponsor you.

English Language

Unless exempt, primary applicants for a subclass 190 visa must undertake an English language test. Applicants must undertake the test with one of the providers listed in the table below, and must achieve 'competent English - the minimum score listed for the chosen provider.

Tests and Test Scores - Competent

English Test                                Minimum Band Score                                                           Listening        Reading       Speaking       Writing
IELTS test Overall band score 6.0 6 6 6 6
OET - - - - B B B B
TOEFL iBT - - - - 12 13 21 18
PTE Overall band score 50 50 50 50 50
CAE Test Overall band score 169 169 169 169 169
Note: State or Territory Governments may have different English language requirements (above competent), and any secondary applicants may need to provide evidence of 'functional' English.

State - Territory Governments

Each State and Territory Government in Australia sets their own occupation list and other criteria they consider relevant. Generally, you do not need to live in the State or Territory at the time the Department sends you an invitation to apply for the subclass 190 visa, however you may need to relocate to meet specified criteria, and remain for a minimum of two (2) years to comply with your visa obligations.


The occupation list for the subclass 190 visa is consolidated from the Short Term Skills Occupation List (STSOL) and the Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). In addition, each State or Territory Government has their own list of occupations they are willing to nominate applicants for. This State - Territory list will generally provide further criteria applicants must meet before a nomination will be considered, such as English level, minimum work experience and minimum qualifications.

Note: State and Territory Governments often close nominations once they meet their own internal quota.

Skills - Experience

Primary applicants must provide a valid, positive skills assessment undertaken for the occupation nominated by the State - Territory Government, as performed by the prescribed assessing authority, either within the last 3 years or before expiry of the skills assessment.

Primary applicants generally need to provide evidence of at least two (2) years work experience, either in the nominated occupation or in an occupation closely associated with the nominated occupation.

Note: you should be careful to ensure you are using the correct 'prescribed' assessing authority for your occupation, as well as applying for the correct assessment.

Include Family

Like most visas, you can include members of your family unit on your application, if you can provide evidence of their relationship to you. This includes if they are your spouse, de facto, child or dependent (children/parents who live with you and are financially dependent).

To prove this relationship you will need to provide evidence, such as birth certificates, passports and details of the nature of their relationship to you.

Note: You should contact us if your family member(s) are not included in the application.


190 Occupation List

U Migrate Australia updates this site regularly, and we make all efforts to ensure the information is current and accurate according to the Law at the time of publishing. Check the 'last updated' date to see if it is current (within 3 months).
More Information
English Language
Competent English is most common

All skilled visas require applicants to satisfy a English language  criteria. The below table shows the relevant score required for each level, as it applies to the different English language tests.

proficiency levelTest componentIELTSTOEFL
& iBT
Functional Overall Score 4.5 32 30 147 n/a
Vocational Listening 5.0 4 36 154 B
Reading 5.0 4 36 154 B
Writing 5.0 14 36 154 B
Spea​king 5.0 14 36 154 B
Competent Listening 6.0 12 50 169 B
Reading 6.0 13 50 169 B
Writing 6.0 21 50 169 B
Speaking 6.0 18 50 169 B
Proficient Listening 7.0 24 65 185 B
Reading 7.0 24 65 185 B
Writing 7.0 27 65 185 B
Speaking 7.0 23 65 185 B
Superior Listening 8.0 28 79 200 A
Reading 8.0 29 79 200 A
Writing 8.0 30 79 200 A
Speaking 8.0 26 79 200 A

You may be exempt from the English requirement if:

  • you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland as evidence that you are a citizen of that country;
  • Or
  • you are applying under the temporary residence stream; and
  • You have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution where all of the tuition was delivered in English.
  • You cannot include short courses studied for this purpose.

    Applicants for the Labour Agreement Stream must demonstrate that they have English language skills that are suitable to perform the occupation to which the position relates. This will be the same level of English as for the other visa streams , unless otherwise specified in the labour agreement.

    Under 45 - unless exempt
    Age exemptions may exist for the skilled 186 and 187 visas, including:
    1. If you are nominated as a senior academic by a university in Australia;
    2. If you are nominated as a scientist, researcher, or technical (scientific) specialist at ANZSCO skill level one or two by an Australian government scientific agency
    3. if you are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream and have been working for your nominating employer as the holder of a 482 or subclass 457 visa for the last three years and your earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work High Income Threshold for each year over that period
    4. If you are a medical practitioner (ANZSCO Minor Group 253) (Temporary Residence Transition stream)and you meet all specified criteria.
    5. If you hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) and you have been working for the employer who nominated you for at least two years (excluding any periods of unpaid leave) in the last three years immediately before applying under the direct entry stream.
    6. If you are applying through the Labour Agreement stream and the relevant labour agreement allows for a person who has turned 45 to be employed.

    Important: you may also be able to apply for a visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are over 45 years of age but under 50, if transitional arrangements apply because you either held, or were an applicant for, a subclass 457 visa (which was subsequently granted) on 18 April 2017.

    Ask Us
    Get Started For Free
    Should I Submit A Form 80
    Fill it in...
    Currently, there is no legislation requiring the form 80, however the Department claim it will help with processing times. We recommend filling in the form 80 and lodging it if and when your circumstances require it
    Who Can Certify My Documents
    Your lawyer or RMA in Australia
    In Australia any lawyer or Registered Migration Agent may certify your documents. If overseas it is best to use a Notary Public.
    What If My Occupation Isn't Listed
    Your employer may apply for a labour agreement
    How Difficult Are Skilled Visas?
    It depends on the visa subclass
    We are not interested in taking advantage, so we do not generally assist with simple visas. Skilled visas range from medium to very high difficulty, mostly due to the ongoing changes in immigration Law and policy.
    How are Employer Supported Visas Different?
    The Ability to Obtain PR
    Criteria482 - S482 - L186187
    Visa Type TR TR PR PR
    Transition to PR N Y - -
    Maximum Age 44 44 44 44
    Minimum Years Work Experience 2 2 3 3
    Minimum English   Competent Competent Competent
    Skills Assessment Required N N Y Y
    Relevant Qualifications Required Y Y Y Y
    Minimum Stay in Regional Area N N< N Y
    Minimum Months Processing Time 6 6 12 12
    Include Family on Application Y y Y Y
    Health Assessment Required Y Y Y
    Criminal History Check Required Y Y Y Y
    Skills Select EOI Required N N N N
    Points Test Required N N N N
    Health Insurance Required Y Y Y Y