186 Checklist

For visa applicants in the transitional stream

This document checklist is based on the Departments public guidelines and should be tailored to your specific circumstances by a professional. U Migrate Australia provides a tailored checklist via online portal to ensure your documents are relevant, necessary and secure.

we strongly recommend you speak to a  professional before sending documents to the Department


Current passport showing biographical (photo) pages

Birth certificate (or family register) showing full birth details, including parents’ names

Marriage, divorce or death certificate(s) as applicable

Evidence you have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months

Evidence of any legal name change e.g. name change deed

A copy of your official subclass 457 or 482 visa grant letter

Evidence of 'competent' English language ability (usually lasts 3 years)

Up-to-date resume/CV in Word format, with links to Linked in profile

Work references for all periods of employment, written on company letterhead and signed/dated, with the contact details of the referee

Evidence of your ability to meet licensing or registration requirements for your occupation

Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Certificate dated within the last 12 months

Police clearance certificates for ALL other countries in which you have lived for more than 12 months (cumulative) during the last 10 years (dated within the last 12 months)

Military service discharge document

Contract of employment and duty statement, showing the same occupation and duties as approved for your subclass 457 or 482 visa.

National identity card (both sides) if applicable

If dependent applicant is 18 years or older: evidence of dependency

Form 80 - filled in printed and signed/dated

Payslips and taxation records for all periods of work with the nominating employer

Evidence of your relationship to any included secondary applicants



Some of your original documents must be certified, then scanned and uploaded to the Department portal. You should provide your original documents along with a high quality, full colour hard copy to the person certifying your documents. Once certified, you should scan the certified copy with a flat-bed scanner - not a phone or camera - ensuring

  1. Single page documents are scanned into one (1) .pdf file;
  2. Multiple page documents are all scanned into one (1) .pdf file;
  3. All .pdf files are named appropriately to identify the content, for example: James birth certificate.

For our clients, you may send your original documents to U Migrate Australia for certification and we will return them, along with the certified hard copy and .pdf files. Please do not send us passports.

If you're strugling to understand what you need, or if you don't have the required documents we can assist. U Migrate Australia will review your documentation to ensure it is compliant and provide samples where appropriate.


Information provided on this page is not legal or immigration advice and you should seek assistance specific to your individual circumstances.