186 Visa Applicants
The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) subclass 186 visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for a nominating employer permanently. The employer may nominate a worker who is in or outside of Australia and depending on the circumstances, may nominate under one of three streams:
- The transition stream (TRT) if your employers sponsored you on a subclass 457 or 482 visa for at least 3 years;
- The direct stream (DE) if you have not been sponsored by your employer or you cannot meet the TRT stream;
- The Agreement stream for employers who want to negotiate a labor agreement with the Government.
Regardless of the stream being applied for, there are generally two stages to a successful subclass 186 visa application. These include:
- Employers must apply to nominate an occupation from the relevant occupation list; and
- Workers must apply for the subclass 186 visa within 6 months of the employer nomination being granted.
Applications may be lodged together, however if one fails, applicants may not be able to recover payments already made for other applications or professional fees.
Essential Eligibility criteria for TRT applicants include::
- You have worked for the same employer in the same occupation for 3 of the prior 4 years on your current subclass 457 or 482 visa;
- You are nominated for the subclass 186 visa by the same 457 or 482 employer in the same occupation;
- You hold required licensing or registration for the position nominated by the employer;
- You and all in your application are of good health and character;
- You have the required level of 'competent' English language;
- You can obtain a positive skills assessment if requested;
- You are under 45 years old at application time;
- Your employer has a approved nomination.
Nomination and visa application may be lodged at the same time, however this is not allways appropriate.
Essential eligibility criteria for the direct entry stream include:
- You are nominated for the subclass 186 visa by an eligible Australian employer who can provide at least two years full time work in the nominated position;
- You have at least three years' experience in the nominated occupation, or an occupation closely associated with the nominated occupation;
- You hold a valid, positive skills assessment undertaken for the nominated occupation by the prescribed skills assessing authority;
- You hold, or have applied for/be eligible to hold required licensing or registration for the position nominated by the employer;
- You and all additional applicants are of good health and character;
- You have the required level of 'competent' English language at time of application, unless exempt;
- You are under 45 years old at time of application;
- Your nominating employer meets all nomination criteria.